Theme of the Month:

SUMMER!!! ... we're having FUN in the Sun and cooling off at our Water Table!


Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Hair Trauma!!!


We were told by two different Ultrasound Techs that MunCee would have a lot of hair so we thought we knew what to expect. What we did not know, however, was that she would not want ANYONE to touch her hair! Even before it got to it's current state of very thick, super tight curls, she would have a fit if a comb/brush passed within inches of her head.

So what options do we have? We can shave it all off or she will just have to learn that "hair combing" is a natural part of a girl's life; and that little girls with her texture simple have to accept early on that "it ain't gonna be easy so you better suck it up" (that's right, tough love! ). OR we can comb it while she's sleeping and pray that she does not wake up.

I opted for the latter last week when I saw that she desperately needed to have her hair detangled. It took almost two hours to do the plaits so I've decide to make both our lives easier by doing this only once per week until she's old enough for cornrows. Yep, cornrows were a life savior for me because, as shameful as it is to admit, I was exactly like Syd when it came to my hair. According to Auntie D, this is my payback for all the crying, screaming and fighting she had to endure with me!

Life has a funny way of getting even with us and I have accepted that sometime in the future I will be forced to face this challenge head-on. But for now, I will try to, quietly and very gently, manage MunCee's hair while she is soundly asleep!!!!

Pictures of her first "do" are posted for your viewing pleasure! Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment